Thursday, February 5, 2009

Eva Rutland, Winner of the 2000 Golden Pen Award for Lifetime Achievement, to visit CCHS


Eva Rutland, author of more than 20 novels and winner of the 2000 Golden Pen Award for Lifetime Achievement, presents the timely and relevant story, first published in 1964, of her life in the years “before integration, before affirmative action—when segregation was the norm, discrimination was legally tolerated, and blacks were second-class citizens”.

The students in Kellee Thomas' class are reading Eva Rutland's "When We Were Colored: A Mother's Story." CCHS is looking forward to her visit on March 12th.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a really good book and I look forward to meeting Mrs. Rutland.
Keanna Phillips

Anonymous said...

Ryan says: Suggests others to read this book.

Anonymous said...

Daniel C. says I like the way she raised her kids, I want to raise mine the same way.

Anonymous said...

I think its a good book because she gives details about her life. For example, she tells about how her mother raised her and how her grandfather owned his own shoe store in Atlanta.

Shonte Moore

Anonymous said...

This books allows you to put yourself in her shoes and feel what she has gone through.

Michael Higares

Anonymous said...

I think it's an interesting book. Mrs. Rutland is someone I can look up to.

Karen Kaila

Anonymous said...

She is like a role model. I can learn from her.

Perla Hernandez

Anonymous said...

I normally wouldn't read this genre of book, but it is interesting.

Essie Parra

Anonymous said...

I think this is a good book because it talks about Mrs. Rutland's struggles and how she overcame them.

Kendahyl Wallace

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying this book. Only being a mother for the last three years, I can really appreciate Mrs. Rutland's story. She has lots of wonderful insight to offer. I love the fact that throughout her book, she stresses that people are just people and we should love one another.

Mrs. Thomas